Who we are:
Higher Education Resource Services, East Africa (HERS-EA) is a non-governmental educational organization providing leadership and management development training for women at higher education institutions in East Africa (Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda). It is recognized as an affiliated organization of HERS, based in Denver, Colorado, USA. Launched on August 5, 2014, on September 12, 2014, HERS-EA was incorporated and was recognized as a legal entity in Uganda. HERS-EA is currently hosted by the Makerere University, in Kampala, Uganda.
To achieve equitable representation and visibility of women leaders in higher education institutions
To raise the proportion of women in leadership and management positions in higher education institutions in Eastern Africa to at least 50% and empower women at multi-tiers of leadership while integrating the results to change systems.
HERS-EA Core Values:
2. Diversity and Inclusiveness
5. Transparency and Accountability
6. Women Transformation
1. Offer opportunities for leadership and management training for women at high levels of decision making in government, Education Institutions and nongovernment organizations thereby increasing their visibility as leaders
2. Drive cultural change in higher education institutions so that they are welcoming and appreciative of women's contributions
3. Develop an understanding of practical issues pertaining to rural women and connect them to researchers in HEIs to provide solutions to persistent challenges
4. Provide a forum for informal networking and formal mentoring for members
5. Be a resource for higher education institutions and other employers seeking able women leaders
6. Advance Partnerships in research training and outreach among higher education institutions and Development Partners, Governments and Nongovernmental Organizations